The 2014 Hugo Award nominees have been announced. The noms in the Novel category are:
- Ancillary Justice, Ann Leckie (Orbit US/Orbit UK)
- Neptune’s Brood, Charles Stross (Ace / Orbit UK)
- Parasite, Mira Grant (Orbit US/Orbit UK)
- Warbound, Larry Correia (Baen Books)
- The Wheel of Time, (entire series) Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (Tor Books)
See the full list of noms in all categories on the official Hugo Award site.
So, it’s the entire Wheel of Time series that is up for the best novel. The Hugo rules allow a series to be eligible after the final volume has been published and as long as none of the books in the series were nominated individually. The argument is that it’s one long continuous story which is the same reasoning that lead to Blackout and All Clear being nominated as a single volume. Interesting. Will the legions of Jordan/Sanderson fans out there carry the award for them?
What do you think of this crop of nominees? Anything strike your fancy?