The 2013 John W. Campbell Memorial Award finalists have been announced:
- The Hydrogen Sonata, Iain M. Banks (Orbit)
- Any Day Now, Terry Bisson (Overlook)
- Existence, David Brin (Tor)
- The Rapture of the Nerds, Cory Doctorow & Charles Stross (Tor)
- Empty Space, M. John Harrison (Night Shade)
- Intrusion, Ken MacLeod (Orbit)
- Railsea, China Miéville (Del Rey)
- The Fractal Prince, Hannu Rajaniemi (Tor)
- Blue Remembered Earth, Alastair Reynolds (Ace)
- Jack Glass: The Story of a Murderer, Adam Roberts (Gollancz)
- 2312, Kim Stanley Robinson (Orbit)
- Slow Apocalypse, John Varley (Ace)
- Alif the Unseen, G. Willow Wilson (Grove Press)
The award, for best SF novel, will be presented during the Campbell Conference, to be held July 13-16, 2013 at the Oread Hotel in Lawrence KS.
This makes the 6th award nomination for 2312. One more and it would have tied only 5 other books for most nominations ever received. That’s quite an accomplishment for a science fiction book that doesn’t cross genres.
What do you make of this list? Any personal favorites in there? There seems to be a wide variety of books though I am curious to see what people make of the fact that only 1 in 13 of the books was written by a female author.